Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Can you believe it's been six months!






I can't believe Katya's already been here six months! The progress she's made in such a short period of time astounds me! We rarely struggle to communicate. She gets confused about multiple meanings of the same word which can be funny at times. She has assimilated into American culture beautifully. As I type this, she is watching her new favorite TV show: Project Runway! She loves edgy and chic fashion. (Check out her socks and flip-flop combo in the photo above!) She is comfortable in any social setting, but she's still a bit confused about some of the manners we observe, such as asking adults how old they are upon meeting them. When I took her to my office she asked my boss how much money she makes! She told her orthodontist braces cost too much money and he should be embarrassed. (I agree, and I want to know why braces are now in the $6,000 range? Katie and Steven's braces didn't exceed $3,000!) He told me he recently bought "another property" in Europe. I thought: "Of course you did, thanks to me."

Katya's basketball season ended last week but she will start soccer after spring break. Her spring breaks starts this Friday and we are heading to Atlanta to see my brother George and his family. We are really excited about the trip and family visit. It will be her first long car trip so I am loading up on books and activities. I am hoping she'll sleep a lot!

Tomorrow night is a Cultural Fair at her school and we will be representing Russia. Katya and I are setting up a table with Russian food, artifacts, books, flags and money for display. It should be a fun evening. Katya is proud of her heritage and I love that she has an opportunity to showcase the motherland! If she gets angry or upset she says, "I can't help it, I'm Russian!" She tries to use that excuse for not wearing a coat too, but I don't buy it!

Katya has made a wonderful best friend whom I adore. She could not have picked a nicer girl for a best friend. Elizabeth is a patient, kind-hearted child from a large family. I think that's where Elizabeth gets her patience as she has three younger siblings! We are taking Elizabeth with us to the beach this summer so Katya will have a playmate. We rented a house in Nag's Head, North Carolina the first week in August, so pray that the hurricanes stay away!

Thanks for checking in on our wonderful daughter! I'll start blogging again more frequently I promise!

No comments: