Monday, February 4, 2008

Lessons Learned



I have learned quite a few valuable lessons lately. We have had a few quiet weekends lately and one four day holiday due to teacher workdays. During those l-o-n-g winter days and holidays, I learned that Katya DOES NOT like "down time." She wants a playmate every waking moment. Because of her last 8 years in an orphanage, she has had her choice of playmates at her beck and call. She never had to occupy her own time or sit quietly and read a book. This past weekend, she wanted Fred or me to play with her ALL DAY. This is fine for a few hours but now that I am working again, I have a lot I need to accomplish on the weekends and truth be told, I don't WANT to play basketball or card games for hours and hours straight! She has paints, books, puzzles, and crafts but she doesn't want to do anything alone. It is not enough to be in the same room with her, you have to be interacting with her or she is not happy! What did all this teach me? One important lesson: She will be in summer camps from the first day of vacation until labor day! It also taught me that when we go to the beach for a week this summer, we will take a friend! I am trying desperately to teach her the love of reading, but I get the feeling that reading was not encouraged in Russia and she groans when I even mention the word book. We have a long way to go but I am confident that once she feels more comfortable with those quiet moments life gives us on occasion, she will learn to appreciate and even want the calm and stillness of a lazy day.

No comments: