Saturday, September 8, 2007

Getting settled in


IT IS SO GOOD TO BE HOME!! Katya and I have been getting unpacked and settled in. She is extremely happy and is discovering the joy of family. She loves her new room and all the girlie stuff my sister and I picked out for her. She is very inquisitive and never meets a stranger. We spent two hours in the Social Security office on Friday and she was carefully checking everyone out, or more to the point, staring! For those of you who haven't been in a Social Security office in the last few years, it a truly a melting pot! I think I was the only English as a first language person in the whole place! She lacks some essential social graces, meaning when she saw a very fat person she pointed and said loudly, Oh Mama, BOLSHOI! Bolshoi in Russian is BIG! I wanted to instantly disappear! She saw a black policeman in the Atlanta airport and went up to him and rubbed her fingers on his face, then looked at her fingers. I thought I was going to faint. I told the policemen that she loved policemen and always wanted to touch them! I got out of that one! Most of the orphans have never seen people of color. She now knows never to point at people, now I have to get her to stop commenting out loud. At least her comments are in Russian so I am relatively safe for the time being.

Katie came over today and she and Katya made jewelry and just hung out together. Katya loves Katie's nails so Katie took her for a manicure today. She felt so special and grown up! Katya adores Katie, and she told me after she left that she wanted Katie to move into her room with her!

Tonight my girlfriend and her husband took Katya to McDonald's and to miniature golf, which meant Fred and I could go on a date! Darcy has known Katya for three years so Katya was thrilled to be going out with her. It was nice to have a little break but we found ourselves missing her a lot!

Tomorrow is church, which will be a first for her. I'll let you know how that goes!!

No comments: