Thursday, September 6, 2007

We're Home!!


Katya and I made it home last night at about 8:45 PM! We were tired from the long journey but thrilled to see all the smiling faces waiting for us at the airport! Thanks to all of you who came to welcome us home!

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to be home with our new daughter! I missed my family immensely, which made the wait in Russia even more difficult. All the steps to make Katya ours were overwhelming, including multiple visits to the Ministry of Education, courthouse, consulate, passport office and US Embassy. Katya became an American citizen yesterday, but I don't think she quite understands it yet!

The first thing she wanted to do is get her ears pierced! She said that no orphan girls can have their ears pierced so this was very significant to her. She also said orphan girls cannot have long hair so she wants to have very long hair. It has never been professionally cut and it’s about 100 different lengths but I'm not going to even try to talk her into a trim yet. I have to pick my battles very carefully!

Thanks for all your well wishes and support these last nine months. It's been like a pregnancy, the last month being the hardest! I'll keep blogging to fill you in on her new life in America. There's nothing like spending a month in Russia to make you appreciate how wonderful our country is and how fortunate we are to be Americans.

No comments: