Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I am relieved Halloween is over!



Is it just me, or has Halloween gotten completely out of control? When Target has to sell orange and black 50 gallon containers to store the truckloads of decorations people are buying, haven't we gone a little too far? Halloween is a $5 billion dollar holiday! What? I don't get it. I went to the bank today and the manager was Dracula? Huh. It's just ONE day that your kids rummage through your extra closets, come up with a costume of sorts and then bug your neighbors for candy. Now, people are decorating their houses and yards beginning October 1st, complete with sound effects and mechanical creatures in the yard. Come on folks, Halloween doesn't symbolize anything, or at least anything most of us care about. Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, marking the end of summer and the harvest. It also marked the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. So if any of you are celebrating the end of summer and your harvest, and you feel like the worlds between the living and the dead are blurred tonight, just forgive me now! I can understand decorating for Christmas, because it symbolizes something many of us actually celebrate. Like I said, I just don't get it. I'm putting my soap box away now...

So...Katya wouldn't wear a costume, but she did agree to a little face make-up and a wig, which to us constituted a costume. She practiced on our neighbors first, mixing up the "Trick or Treat" a few times, but she soon mastered the magic words and off they went to conquer the neighborhood! Katie and Katya had fun and it left me at home to give out candy. Whew...I'm glad that's over!

No comments: