Sunday, July 29, 2007

How I got involved in Russian Orphanages



Photo:
The birthplace of a dream - on the roof of the Owens Family home in Clintwood, Virginia. Randy is on the ladder wearing the baseball cap.

In the summer of 2001, I was fortunate enough to be partnered with a wonderful man, Randy Jones, while participating in the Appalachia Service Project (ASP) in Clintwood, Virginia. Randy is from West Virginia, in fact he's from Summersville, my birthplace! All week, while replacing a roof of a trailer in 95-degree heat, Randy shared his stories about his mission trip to the orphanages and really encouraged me to get involved. Since seeing a documentary on television in 1989 about orphanages in Eastern Europe, I was haunted by the children’s faces and was determined to one day help in any way I could. Shortly after returning from ASP, Randy generously presented me with a way to become a part of this worthwhile endeavor so off I went to Russia for the first time in December 2001! I fell in love with the children and not only made a commitment to return every year, but also to get more people involved and to raise funds to help the orphans. Since 2003, I have helped 18 high school and college kids become Russia missionaries, many of whom have returned multiple times. The children at the orphanages love our visits and we have forged long-lasting relationships with many of them. The kids especially appreciate the gifts as well as the much-needed toiletries, knitted items and other essential supplies that we take over year after year. I have journeyed to Russia six times and will continue the good work of the Russian Orphanage Project as long as I am able.

Oftentimes God has plans for us that really take us by surprise. Last December, the director of Podolsk Orphanage suggested I adopt a then 11-year-old-girl who has been living at Podolsk since 2000. I thought it was a fantastic idea and my husband wholeheartedly agreed, so we will be the proud parents of Katya Grace Buoni by the end of September 2007, God willing. I thought I had been abundantly blessed by my work with the Russian Orphanage Project, but little did I know until now the true abundance of my blessings!

No comments: